Whether renting a boat for leisure or a jet ski for more of a thrill, it’s important to employ practical water safety measures. No matter how much experience someone has on the water, the unexpected can happen. However, with thorough preparation and attention to detail, boating and other water activities can be both safe and enjoyable.
5 key water and boating safety tips recommended by our friendly staff of Motor Boatin serving the Falls Lake community are:
- Check the Weather. Before heading out, always check a local Raleigh report for weather updates. When on the water, be aware of darkening clouds or any changes that may pose a problem and get to land safely and quickly. Remember: if in doubt, don’t go out.
- Use a Pre-Departure Checklist. Another useful way to maintain water and boating safety is using a relevant checklist. Ensuring that life jackets, distress signals, lights, fuel, and other tools are present and operating properly on the boat before departing will guarantee safety on the water should anything occur.
- Be Alert. Open water is treated as an intersection, so always be aware of other boaters and those enjoying water sports. They may not notice other boats or jet skis, so keeping an eagle-eye out for any possible dangers or collisions is the first step to preventing them.
- Be Considerate. If others are out enjoying a day on Falls Lake, please be mindful of where they’re located and what they’re doing. Flying by too quickly could create waves and ripples that potentially affect their safety on the water.
- Loose the Booze. Enjoying a nice day on a pontoon boat may seem like the perfect chance to imbibe and enjoy a few drinks. But the rules that apply to operating a vehicle on land also apply to boating on the water. In NC, it is prohibited to operate a boat or any personal water device under the influence of drugs or alcohol, with the legal BAC limit being 0.08%.
Taking the time to ensure proper safety procedures will guarantee a great day on the lake with fun boating and water activities! If you’re interested in renting a jet ski or pontoon boat, stop by and see us at Motor Boatin off of Falls Lake to see your options!