Spending a hot, summer day riding a boat out on the water is a match made in heaven, but one important thing to keep in mind when boating is everyone on board’s safety – it should be a top priority. When at the lake, a nice, relaxing day can turn into a bad situation very quickly if the proper safety precautions aren’t put in place. At Motor Boatin’, we want everyone on the water to not only have fun but be safe throughout the day.
- Life vests: When boating during any time of the year, it is important to have life vests on the boat as they can be the difference between a life and death situation. It is important to know that it is a North Carolina law that anyone 13 AND under MUST be wearing a life vest while the boat is moving.
- Pay attention: In the summertime, crowded waters are more common. Everyone is out on the water enjoying the beautiful weather so paying attention and keeping a watch out for others is essential. For more tips on how to navigate crowded waters, check out our blog post here.
- Take a course: If you aren’t 100% fully confident in your boating skills, consider taking a course to sharpen your boating abilities and to feel more at ease when out on the water. Take a FREE boating safety course here.
- Drinking and boating: When on a boat, the person driving the boat should not be drinking at any time. Alcohol impairs your vision and can hinder the way you drive a boat, much like when driving a car. This is not only important for your own safety but also for all the riders on board, so don’t make these decisions that could affect the lives of others.
- Overcrowd the boat: Going on the boat with a bunch of family and friends is fun, but make sure to keep the boat’s capacity regulations in mind. Overcrowding the boat can be bad for many different reasons. First, it can affect the balance of the boat. Second, having too many people on a boat can be very distracting for the driver.
When boating in a safe manner, it is bound to be lots of fun. Spend the summer right and grab some friends and rent a boat today!