To ensure a long, fun-filled day out on the lake, safety must be a number one priority for all individuals looking to ride or operate any type of watercraft. At Motor Boatin, we know and understand the importance of boating safety.
Here are five tips to ensure the safety of all passengers onboard:
- Take a course: At Motor Boatin, a lot of our boaters are beginners. This is why safety courses can be extremely helpful. They can help boaters feel more comfortable and confident when out on the water. Here is a free online course.
- Know how to properly use life jackets: Life jackets can be the difference between life and death. Even the most experienced swimmers should consider wearing a life jacket. In North Carolina, children under 13 are required to wear an appropriate life vest when the vessel is underway.
- Don’t overload the boat: Parties should always follow the specified person limit when deciding how many individuals will be on the boat. It is especially crucial to not gather at the end of one side of the boat. This can cause the boat to flip and people to potentially drown, therefore, it is extremely dangerous to overcrowd the boat.
- Avoid alcohol: Operating a boat while under the influence of alcohol is illegal. It can severely affect your sense of judgement and is one of the leading causes of boat accidents. Keep yourself and your party safe by just avoiding alcohol altogether when operating a watercraft.
- Regularly check the hourly weather conditions: It is important to check the hourly weather conditions in the nearby area because as a storm approaches, so do unsafe boating conditions. Remember that, at Motor Boatin, rentals can be rescheduled before reservation date with no penalty. Going out on the water during an extreme storm is not worth risking your life.
Safety always comes first! If you feel like venturing out on the water for the first time, reserve a rental from Motor Boatin today. Our goal is to make everyone feel confident when boating. Contact us for more information.